Welcome!

Welcome to Moondog Treasures: yoga jewelry for women and men, mala bracelets, Sanskrit mantra necklaces, and wire-wrapped beaded crosses. I'm a yoga teacher, and these are my creations. On this blog you can read the story behind the jewelry. You'll also get to meet other talented Etsy artists whose work I admire. Contact me at moondogtreasures@live.com.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

What is a mala?

I sell malas and mala bracelets in my shop and I often get asked the questions, "What is a mala?" and "How do I use a mala?" Full malas remind me of the rosaries that I use as part of my Catholic faith. For each bead, a prayer is said. A mala is a set of 108 beads. Each bead stands for a mantra, a word, or a prayer.  Repeating prayers on a rosary can be very meditative.  The repetition of mantras on the beads of a mala is a form of meditation as well.
Full 108 mala with jasper gemstone and rudraksha bead
 
Mens' mala bracelet with earth jasper and wood
It is traditional of Tibetan Buddhism to recite mantras 108 times. Many malas have 108 beads, or are also made smaller but are divided into 108 to come up with 27 and 54 bead malas. The mens' mala bracelet above contains 27 beads. 
 
Mala gift box with scroll

Each mala from Moondog Treasures comes in a gift box with an explanation of a mala rolled into a tiny scroll.

To see my mala collections, click on the following links:

Every year during the month of September, Moondog donates 54% of all sales of mala bracelets to charity. She does this in honor of the Global Mala, an incredible annual yoga event that was set into motion in 2007 by Shiva Rea to raise awareness and funds for causes that affect our planet. See www.globalmala.org or www.yogamonth.org for more information. 

I'm the creator behind this blog and Moondog Treasures: yoga jewelry for women and men, mala bracelets, Sanskrit mantra necklaces, and wire-wrapped beaded crosses. I use this blog to share what I do and to feature other talented Etsy artists whose work I admire. Contact me at moondogtreasures@live.com.
Coming soon:  What do the different gemstones represent on a mala?  Why the number 108?


No comments: