Welcome!

Welcome to Moondog Treasures: yoga jewelry for women and men, mala bracelets, Sanskrit mantra necklaces, and wire-wrapped beaded crosses. I'm a yoga teacher, and these are my creations. On this blog you can read the story behind the jewelry. You'll also get to meet other talented Etsy artists whose work I admire. Contact me at moondogtreasures@live.com.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

You are not Alone - Jewelry that Gives you Strength

Sometimes you need a reminder that things are going to be ok. 

We all have those days when we see a challenge coming. For some people, they are able to find strength or solace in wearing a piece of jewelry that has meaning to them.  For me, it's a necklace.  This necklace contains a tiny blue charm of the Virgin Mary.
For her, there was no choice
When my mother was pregnant with me, there were some difficulties.  A tumor was discovered alongside the baby.  The doctor offered to operate, but my mother didn't want to put the baby at risk.  She decided to carry both the baby and the tumor to term. 

This could not have been an easy pregnancy.  I'm sure that there was a lot of fear and physical discomfort.  Fortunately, it all turned out fine.

My mother tells me that during the pregnancy, a nun that she knew was a great support to her.  When my mom was about to deliver, this nun, Sister Walter Marie, gave her a little blue charm.  She told her that God was looking out for her and the baby.

Mom and me, circa 1965
My mother kept the charm all these years.  When I was older, she gave it to me.  Then I held onto it for many years. 

A meaningful reminder
When I began creating my own jewelry, I decided to make something using this little "good luck" charm.  Now, whenever I need a little boost, whenever I need to feel as if I'm being watched over, I'll wear it.  It's not even my best work, but reminds me not to take anything for granted.  It reminds me that I'm blessed.




How about you? 
Do you have a "good luck" charm? Please comment below if you'd like to share.
  • Is it an heirloom? 
  • A gift? 
  • Something expensive?  Or inexpensive, yet worth its weight in gold?
  • Does it contain a specific gemstone? Or an image that serves to remind you of something?
One of my goals with Moondog Treasures is to create meaningful jewelry.  In my next post, I'll share some of the stories my customers have shared with me.

2 comments:

Meleenia said...

So funny how things come together and the people that pass through your life. 19 years ago and some I too was pregnant. I too had a tumor on my uterus at just about 5 months but didn't know it at the time. I just had pain. I was admitted to the hospital, they ran test after test but couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was taken into surgery, there was no choice on my part, it had to be done. I was given no guarantees. After the surgery, I awoke and knew immediately that everything was okay. The doctor came in and told me I had a fibroid tumor on my uterus, and had it was growing so fast the tissue was becoming necrotic. He was able to remove it and save my baby and my uterus. I told him "We weren't alone in there," and he said "I know." This is a Jewish doctor, and I am Orthodox Christian, and we were not alone. My talisman from that day is the 19 y/o girl I have the pleasure to call my daughter each and every day. So glad you have a happy ending too. Thanks for the opportunity to share. I try to make meaningful jewelry as well, to remind people every day to be thankful, kind, remember and to be the best they can be.

Yoga Bridge said...

Thank you so much for writing. I love your jewelry! You're really skilled w/ embroidery and wire-wrapping.

I love your story, and I'm so glad you had a happy ending too. You've got a great luck charm!!
Susan